I am a political scientist, currently working at the Academy of Finland Centre of Excellence in Law, Identity and the European Narratives (Eurostorie) at the University of Helsinki. For 2022-2023 I am a Fulbright Finland Senior Scholar, visiting Cornell University, N.Y.
I am also a research fellow at the Hannah Arendt Center for Political Studies at the University of Verona, and an associate editor of Arendt Studies. I have previously worked as a senior lecturer at the University of Jyväskylä and as a post-doctoral researcher at Jyväskylä and Tampere Universities.
My work focuses on political/democratic theory and international relations, albeit with frequent visits to the field of domestic politics.
More specifically, my areas of research include (see bio, publications, and publications by theme for more details):
- Hannah Arendt‘s political thought, and 20th century/contemporary political theory
- The role of facts, truth and experience in democratic politics
- Resilience and security politics
- Planetary politics and the ecological crisis
My current research addresses such questions as the role of factual truth in democratic debate, post-truth politics, and the politics of climate change and the Anthropocene.
— recent publications —
- “The Value of the Surface: Reappreciating Embodiment, Labor, and Necessity in Arendt’s Political Thought” (Critical Times) – Open Access
- “Genealogy of Experiential Frames: Methodological Notes on Arendt” (Genealogy) – Open Access
- “Labor as Action: the Human Condition in the Anthropocene” (Research in Phenomenology)
- “Koronakriisi, informaatio ja resilienssipolitiikka“ (Kosmopolis – Open Access)
- “Careless Speech: Conceptualizing Post-Truth Politics” (New Perspectives – Open Access)