I am a political scientist, currently working at the Academy of Finland Centre of Excellence in Law, Identity and the European Narratives (Eurostorie) at the University of Helsinki. For 2022-2023 I am a Fulbright Finland Senior Scholar, visiting Cornell University, N.Y.
I am also a research fellow at the Hannah Arendt Center for Political Studies at the University of Verona, and an associate editor of Arendt Studies. I have previously worked as a senior lecturer at the University of Jyväskylä and as a post-doctoral researcher at Jyväskylä and Tampere Universities.
My work focuses on political/democratic theory and international relations, albeit with frequent visits to the field of domestic politics.
- Hannah Arendt‘s political thought, and 20th century/contemporary political theory
- The role of facts, truth and experience in democratic politics
- Resilience and security politics
- Contemporary world political events, trends, and contestations
— recent publications —
- “The Value of the Surface: Reappreciating Embodiment, Labor, and Necessity in Arendt’s Political Thought” (Critical Times) – Open Access
- “Genealogy of Experiential Frames: Methodological Notes on Arendt” (Genealogy) – Open Access
- “Labor as Action: the Human Condition in the Anthropocene” (Research in Phenomenology)
- “Koronakriisi, informaatio ja resilienssipolitiikka“ (Kosmopolis – Open Access)
- “Careless Speech: Conceptualizing Post-Truth Politics” (New Perspectives – Open Access)